Friday, February 18, 2011

Friday happenings



Another busy week has drawn to a close - I made a resolution this week to do something every day - be it visit someone, go somewhere interesting, or have someone over. So today it was nice to see some of the ladies from coffee group over - oh, and Lucas of course! wouldn't want to lump him in the lady category :) it's so neat to see all the babies growing up, and strange to think that when we met they were all in our tummies. I want to try to make the most of the time I have with Viv before I go back to work. Sigh.
This would have to be one of the hottest summers I have experienced in Wellington since we moved here - and that is seven years. The first summer I spent here was (from memory) one of the wettest on record. Quite ironic in a way therefore, that the summer we have a young baby in the house it is stinking hot almost every day, and as anyone with a new baby is aware, they do not like the heat, and will let you know loud and clear just how uncomfortable they are! It was quite difficult to get Vivi to settle down today for her sleeps, so I spent the majority of the day out with her in the buggy (ok, slight exaggeration, but when you've got a screaming baby every minute feels like an hour!). We did however, have a very pleasant walk together down the Hutt Valley river trail - a walk that turned into a bit of a blackberrying mission as they are all in season at the moment, and plentiful down the river trail. I picked my fair share (while Vivi slept in the buggy -bliss!) then found some time tonight to make Blackberry Jam. Alas, I think I probably overdid the boiling of the jam and in texture it now seems to resemble a rather thick paste. Hmph! I'm going to go back early next week and pick some more - but will probably freeze them next time around as my jam making skills leave a lot to be desired.....

1 comment:

James said...

I've been picking a few blackberries myself from around Darkest Karori when I'm out walking: but I don't make jam, I just eat them then & there.

As ever, thinking of you three.