Sunday, January 20, 2008

Listen to the rain

Don't you just love the sound of the rain?

It's been so hot here, all day long. Muggy and Humid. Hovering around 30 degrees... that yucky, sticky heat. Summer is here, and the sandflies are out in force, making it look as though I have chicken pox. Nasty bites that itch and itch constantly, that you just want to scratch right off! ah, summer.

I do love Summer. I feel it's a time of the year when I'm at my most productive, and happiest. I'm pretty sure I suffer from seasonal depression, so summer and those long sunny days definately agree with me. Apart from the sandflies and mosquitoes of course! blood-sucking little fiends!

We've had a really busy week. Last week was heaps of fun. I caught up with people I hadn't seen for a while (perhaps Tim being out of the country had something to do with it?). I had a great time rocking the night away with James, Kath, and Amy to 'Good Laika' - a band which is well worth seeing. And to my delight, they even covered one of my favourite Beatle's songs "Don't let me down". The next day, Andy arrived from Canada. He was a friend of Tim's back in Tim's Kingston days and has now made the move to emigrate over here. So he's staying with us until he finds a place. He's a drummer and is looking for work, so if anyone knows of anything.... please contact me!
So yesterday we all headed off to the Wairarapa - stopping briefly at Kaitoke regional park on the way. Once in the "Wai" we lunched in Greytown (Corner cafe pies.... yum!) then went to see the 'Stonehenge Aotearoa' - our second visit and hopefully not our last. The highlight of the day for me was exploring the derelict "Haunted" house that lay in the middle of a field across the road from the Stonehenge. I have a fascination with such places, and so I made Tim stop the car so we could all troop on up and inspect it. It was dank and dark inside, the only sound pigeons fluttering around in the loft. It had an air of desolation about it, abandonment. A once stately house turned into a mouldering ruin. I'll post pictures up of it, because I think it's worth a look. We found a bit of piping beside the house, which came in handy for whacking Tim over the head when he turned into a Zombie..... TBC

No comments: